Sunday 2 June 2013

Partial Recursive Functions and Finality


Author: Gordon Plotkin (University of Edinburgh)

Reference: Computation, Logic, Games, and Quantum Foundations: The Many Facets of Samson Abramsky, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 7860, 2013, pp 311-326.

Comments: As I've mentioned before, there's a nice tradition in science of 'festschrift' volumes put out to celebrate the birthdays of prominent scientists. I myself have published a paper in a festschift for Gordon Plotkin's 60th birthday; here Plotkin himself contributes to a festschrift for the 60th birthday of Oxford computer scientist Samson Abramsky.

Despite this connection, this week's recommendation from Google Scholar Updates is unfortunately not very pertinent to my research interests. That's not to say it's not a nice paper, but Updates is supposed to be a source of personalised recommendations; I have other ways to find papers that are merely nice! The paper is about how partial recursive functions - which is to say, partially computable functions - can be 'represented' (in the technical sense used in the paper) within general category theory. Why has the algorithm recommended this to me? There is some use made of algebra and coalgebra, but that doesn't really seem sufficient grounds to send a paper my way (am I to be recommended every paper at CALCO, for example?). Perhaps publishing in a volume dedicated to Plotkin was enough?

Note: Next week I will be on leave and so my next blog will be in a fortnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment